Saturday 31 July 2010

Late 18th century bag

I finally managed to take a half-decent picture of my 18th century bag with silk ribbon embroidery:
Photobucket

A very blurry close-up. I need a new camera!
Photobucket

It was made to match this gown:
Photobucket

Blue velvet, lined with pink silk. The shape, measurements and placement of the embroidery are all taken from an extant late 18th century bag. The drawstring goes through metal rings. It was fun to design the embroidery and fun to do it too. The silver spangles was a trial. It’s the first time I have tried to sew on spangles, and I obviously need a lot of practice.

3 comments:

Rowenna said...

Very pretty! Isn't it funny how details--like spangles--are often the trickiest part of a project? You can pull off a whole gown and get hung up on the cuffs :) But that's part of the fun!

GentlewomanThief said...

Oh, so pretty! And it looks really rich and touchable - lovely!

Isis said...

Thank you so much! And I agree Rowenna!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...