Monday 16 January 2012

An 18th century birthday party

As I told you yesterday I went to an 18th century birthday party last Saturday. I had great fun, there were plenty of sweets, cakes and wine as well as dancing and games. I forgot my camera, but my friend Caroline kindly let me borrow some of her pictures.

Here she is in brown, with the equally lovely Nathalie in blue. Caroline's French gown is actually quite ingenious- here it is shortened to fit over pocket hoops, but can also be worn over a grand panier.



Anna, the beautiful birthday child, in a brand new gown to honour the occasion, and her husband.





Me and my darling. I'm in the unhappy position right now that almost all of my 18th century clothes won't fit me. Not that I don't like my pierrot, but it isn't particulary festive.



And I had mislaid my false rump...



A better view on my darling in his national suit.



Dancing and the back view of Anna S in her French gown, the one I told you are one of the most beautiful 18th century gowns I have ever seen.



You can see a glimpse of the front in this picture.



Playing "Domaredansen" ("The Judge Dance") a game probably invented to give people an opportunity to hug each other.



You play it in forming two rings, the inner has all the men, the outer all the women and one woman is the stand in the middle. You can change so all the men is in the outer ring, but you must play in with equal numer of men and women + an extra woman, or man, to stand in the middle. One rings walks clockwise and the other counter clockwise, while singing a special song, but when the music stops then everyone in the outer ring is to grab a person from the inner one. As do the one in the middle. The person who doesn't manage to hug someone is the one who has to stand in the middle the next round.

12 comments:

Lauren R said...

You all look so stunning!

Sarah said...

What gorgeous gowns, you all look lovely! It sounds like it was a wonderful celebration. Thank you for sharing pictures!

Maggie said...

Oh, what amazing pics!

Augustintytär said...

Thank you for sharing pictures with us. And nice to see a few familiar faces too. And one familiar sleeve too I think. It could of course be just a jacket made from a same fabric as his, but I think I must ask our Mr. Waselius if he has been across the sea recently.

You all looked great! And festive or not, I really like the pierrot. And how dashing are the red heels on your darlings outfit!

(And I'm dying to know where the gentleman from Menuett Akademien in a striped jacket got his chatelaine.)

Madame Berg said...

Jealous...

The Lady Ship said...

Looks like you had a lot of fun in beautiful costumes! Happy belated birthday!

Unknown said...

that is so awesome! i would love to go to one!!!

Isis said...

Thank you all!

Augustinär_ I think it was him. :) There were guests from Finland, but I didn't talk with them, so I never heard their names. You will have to come and visit and ask him! ;)

Lady Ship: Thank you, but it wasn't my birthday party but a friend. :)

Anonymous said...

Beautiful !.... I love it

Bella said...

this is such a beautiful blog, I love vintage clothing and I am now following you!

Btw ive got a giveaway kind of thing on at the moment if you would like to have a look at it? :)

Amelia xx

http://wearableartblog.blogspot.com

Sanna K said...

That looks like so much fun! I've added you to my list of blogs now, I thought you were already there, among the fisrt ones but I don't know why it wasn't :O Because your blog is one of my favourites!!

Isis said...

Mary: Thanks! It was a great party!

Marquise Josephine: Thank you!

Amelia Jones: Thanks. I'll check out your blog. :)

Sanna: Lucky it's so easy to remedy then! ;)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...